Dinamo end VakifBank winning streak, Fenerbahce and Eczacibasi on a roll
Luxembourg, March 13, 2019. What a night in the women’s Champions League! Dinamo MOSCOW ended a 28-game winning streak of four-time #CLVolleyW winners VakifBank ISTANBUL after recording a dramatic 3-2 home victory to account for VakifBank’s first loss in Europe’s elite competition since April 2016! Fenerbahce Opet and Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL restored Turkey’s pride as they claimed away victories in Italy to set their sights on a spot in the semis. However, there is a lot more drama to come next week when the return matches define the top four teams in European Volleyball!
• Dinamo MOSCOW pulled out a sensational tiebreak victory over VakifBank ISTANBUL to end a 28-game winning streak that had been lasting since the 2016 gold medal match.
• In what was a truly dramatic match, the Muscovites performed well as a collective to secure a win that keeps them more than just in contention for a spot in the semis.
• Nataliya Goncharova top scored with 26 points but the middle blockers had a terrific game as well – with Irina Fetisova recording eight blocks on her own.
• Fenerbahce Opet ISTANBUL had to work hard but the duo consisting of Melissa Vargas and Samantha Bricio produced a tally of 42 points to secure a 3-1 away victory for the Yellow Angels in their matchup with Italian rookies Savino Del Bene SCANDICCI.
• SCANDICCI put up a fight but made too many mistakes to stop the run of Fenerbahce, who have a record of six wins in seven Champions League matches this season.
• Another Turkish heavyweight, Eczacibasi VitrA, played three close set against Imoco Volley CONEGLIANO but the class of superstar Tijana Bošković was on display as the Serbian opposite hitter scored as many as 25 points to secure a 3-0 victory for her side.
• The Italian ‘Panthers’ remain nevertheless confident that if they minimise the number of mistakes, they can attempt a comeback next week in Istanbul. We will wait and see…
Dinamo MOSCOW (RUS) vs. VakifBank ISTANBUL (TUR) 3-2 (20-25, 25-23, 25-23, 21-25, 15-13)
Savino Del Bene SCANDICCI (ITA) vs. Fenerbahce Opet ISTANBUL (TUR) 1-3 (19-25, 25-23, 19-25, 21-25)
Imoco Volley CONEGLIANO (ITA) vs. Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL (TUR) 0-3 (21-25, 25-27, 22-25)